Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Aren't couples who adopt taking the moral high ground?

Couples who adopt...





1. avoid adding any additional consumers of natural resources to the planet


2. often rescue children from poverty or unfavorable family circumstances


3. often communicate multicultural tolerance to others because they raise and love children of a different race from themselves





Given all this, why isn't adoption more popular than it is? I wish I had adopted...Aren't couples who adopt taking the moral high ground?
Yes, that can be true. All the more reason why we need to legalize gay adoption. I want to be a father but NO, it's illegal. And yet the Spears get to keep plopping out kids, and we all know what great parents THEY are...Aren't couples who adopt taking the moral high ground?
I really feel strongly that you need to rethink your attitude. Children who are adopted are no different than children who are born into a family. Children who are adopted need to be loved and feel wanted. They need to be wanted. The families that adopt them need to do so because they want to have a baby or a child -- and not because they are ';rescuing'; or ';saving'; the child. If they need to feel morally superior they should save some cats or dogs, and treat them as such. Children, all children, need to be loved and wanted and they also need to be treated with dignity and respect. They are not to be ';objectified'; and used to improve someone elses moral standing, in any way at all ever.


People have told me before how lucky my son is -- that he was adopted by my family. I absolutely disagree. I am the one who is lucky. He was a baby -- just like any other baby, and I adopted him because I wanted a baby. I love him because I love him -- not because he is allowing me to teach multicultural tolerance or helping me save the planet!


And your final question about why adoptiion isn't more popular says a lot as well -- people don't want the moral obligation you speak of and they are concerned that it's what would happen. Most people can't even ';rescue'; a dog or cat! They need to go out and breed one that comes out looking ';perfect.'; A child is not the road to the moral high ground and should never be thought of that way in any circumstance -- whether the child was adopted or not.


Do you suppose they are people who have children just because they thought it was morally wrong to have an abortion -- and then expect the children to make them feel morally superior because of their very existnece? What an awful burden.
I don't think an adoptive parent sees himself as taking a moral stand against anything.


Like all parents, they have only the child's best interest at heart.


As to its popularity, adoption is financially difficult and time consuming. Not many people can afford it emotionally or otherwise.
My aunt and uncle adopted their son and let me tell you, it was not easy for them! They started the process when he was an infant, and when they finally closed the deal he was about 1.5 years old! The reason fewer people adopt is because it's very time consuming with alot of paperwork and sometimes it can be quite expensive.
What a load of malarkey... If you wish to help children who are not your own, there are charities and missions by the score.





Most adopt out of a need to be a parent for their own sakes.





Think a bit... and ask around. I think you will see this is more likely the case.
Adoption is wonderful... but unwanted pregnancy prevention is a PRIORITY.
not really, I think the majority of couples who adopt, do it because they cant have children of their own.


I cant wait to go through a pregnancy, It's really one of the most amazing things for a woman to experience.
Seems to me:





couples who adopt should:





1) consider unimportant to their decision; any global effects as negligible and obtuse


2) never consider themselves as the child's 'rescuer'.


(What kind of relationship would that breed?)


3) Not underestimate the importance
Oh, my goodness. This is one of my touchy subjects. I was adopted at 3 by a family who told me every single day of my life that they adopted me out of pity. In my dreams, I still hear the words ';No one wanted you'; ';We felt sorry for you'; Adoption is like most anything else. It can be a blessing or a curse. I was told I would be just like my whore of a mother. The thing is, the one telling me that was the one who called herself my mother. I didn't know any other mother, but my adopted one. Two years ago, she told my children she always hated me and that she only adopted me because no one wanted me. I don't think it truly sank in until then that she meant every word. I didn't have anyone. Some may say I have two families. My birth and my adopted. Truth is, I have never really had either one.


There are great people out there, worthy of taking in a new being as part of their family. Unfortunately, not all who adopt as deserving.
I believe parents who adopt their children can be God-sends. I also believe that having your own children is just as wonderful and beautiful. Unwanted pregnancies would be drastically cut if a lot of women/teenage girls just learned to keep their legs together. You are right though, it should be more popular given the benefits for the child and the parents, not to mention your eco-friendly point was a good one.
Adoption is a very good thing, unfortunately adopted children usually come with some kind of issues, and not everyone is equipped to handle all these issues. Where having your own you can make sure said child is brought up 100% how you wish.
So what you're saying is that adoptive parents are somehow more righteous than couples who plan to have a biological child?


Don't get me wrong, adoption is wonderful. My husband and I have a biological son, and are also considering adopting in the future.


However, we would consider ourselves as simply the child's parents, not glorified heroes who ';rescued'; a child.


Consumers are only a problem if you don't TEACH the next generation to care for the planet. We're a ';green'; family, so that's not an issue for us.


Why would you assume that people only adopt children outside their race? That's a gross assumption. Many white families adopt white children, many black families adopt black children, etc. I'm baffled as to why you would bring race into it.


A good friend of mine was also horribly abused by his adoptive parents. They certainly aren't the moral ';rescuers'; you seem to think all adoptive parents are. In actuality, there are some good adoptive parents, and some bad ones - just as their are some bad and some good biological parents.
i think adoption iw a wonderful experience for the children and the foster parents the children will have some parents and the foster parents will have the children
One reason that hold a lot of loving families back is financial. For some reason adopting is very expensive! If you adpot out of country at least.
When ever I see someone with an 'anti-choice' bumber sticker (usually after they have narrowly missed running over my 8 year old dashing to get the closest parking space) I ask them ';How man unwanted children have you adopted?';


I have yet to get a positive answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment