Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Same Sex Couples ONLY! Do you support a union between same sex under a name like civil union or other OR ?

Okay, I overstated who could answer, I meant just homosexuals!Same Sex Couples ONLY! Do you support a union between same sex under a name like civil union or other OR ?
Marriage. My wife is my wife, not my partner. We don't sell insurance.Same Sex Couples ONLY! Do you support a union between same sex under a name like civil union or other OR ?
I actually think /all/ ';marriages'; should be called ';civil unions';.


That is, even heterosexual couples can have a civil union, if they choose to.


I think the word ';marriage'; should be reserved for people who want to have a religious civil union. And yes, I think homosexual couples should have that option, too.





And both should have the same legal standing.
Marriage is a purely religious word open to religious interpretation. the question is that gay couples are unable to achieve the rights that heterosexual couples achieve through marriage. It is not a question of marriage itself but of rights. I do not object to civil unions. For the information above our government does not legislate ';religion'; because then religion would be a state religion. The government forcing religions to ';marry'; gay people would be a far greater breach of the constitution and our freedom than any perceived violation of the 14th amendment's equal protection clause.





That being said, as a religious person I do believe gay people should be allowed to be married, but understand that my religion and the state should not be the same thing.
Honestly, I really don't care what you call it. I really don't. As long as it is FULLY equally with heterosexual marriage - and there are 1,138 checkmarks that have to be checked off to make it FULLY equal - I don't care what name you put on it.





Unfortunately, it will never be truly equal...the laws are too complex to make it so that civil unions and marriages are truly equal. Giving same sex couples marriage is the easier way to ensure equality.





But a word is just a word. I really don't care about the word, I just want the equality.
I'll take what I can get. But ...





This is a matter of semantics on the part of the Christian right. No one is trying to get their church to do anything. Most gay people wouldn't step through the doors of the average fundamentalist church if they were forced to by the entire 7th Fleet.





Marriage is a civil union of two people. It doesn't matter what it's called. I'm really angered that first, they think that offering me the same right they have is somehow diminishing them in any way. What is it that they're really saying about me if that's their attitude? That is disgusting and I am deeply insulted by their motivation.





Second, the laws read marriage. Equal but separate has never worked. Why do we need to go down that path again? This is really stupid.
To me, ';civil unions'; are unfair and separate. Meaning that it's purposely ostracizing us from so called ';more important'; straight couples. It's basically telling us that our relationships aren't real enough or important enough to be worthy of the title of marriage. I'm actually bisexual, %26amp; if I ever wanted to marry another girl, I would want to know that I had the right and privilege to do so. But in 2009, with Proposition Hate in full swing, it looks like it's not going to happen any time soon.
I want the same rights as my neighbors, since I'm a tax-paying, native-born citizen of the United States of America.





It is unfathomable to me that some people lack the ability to grasp such a profoundly simple idea.





It is a direct violation of the Constitution of the United States of America to designate ANYONE as being ';less than'; others and thereby unworthy of partaking in the same rights and privileges as others. Even if there were only one gay person in this country and every other person despised him, they nonetheless could NOT take away his rights.





You have the right to dislike anyone you like. You do not, however, have the right to curtail his rights to pursue happiness as he sees fit. God almighty, would you tolerate someone doing it to you?
To me, it's a legal issue, not a religious one. I think gay couples should be able to enter a legal contract together that has the same rights and obligations as a straight couple, but I don't mind if it goes by a different name really.


Just because something is different, does not mean it's unequal.
id prefer to be married, the dream of the word marriage every little girl and boy dreams of one day. marriage. my wife. his husband, its a word that should be available to us all...marriage is a beautiful thing. civil union is nice, but its almost like its...not about love, but rights. and i want MARRIAGE. i want to marry the girl of my dreams and have kids with her. im a lesbian. why should i not have that right? i love women just like men love women.i dont love men, and i never will. why? i dont know. i was born this way. ive just always had this dream to marry her one day. straight people are no different than us, so why should they get special treatment?
It's very simple really:





In the US, all citizens are to be treated equally, per the Constitution.





It is unequal if the government allows ';some'; citizens to use the word marriage to describe their relationship, while not allowing ';other'; citizens from using that same word.





Get it?
For now I just want to be able to be ';married'; to someone no matter what it is called but, I hope that someday everyone can get married. Because if it is called something else, we're not being treated equally. They're solving the problem by going around it. We (or at least I) don't want different rights that are kinda the same. I want equal rights.
No it needs to be called marriage calling it something else makes it unequal or separate then a regular marriage, which is wrong were all meant to be equal.
Honestly, I'm wondering why some people refuse to understand the concept of 'EQUALITY'... Change 'anything' and it is NOT the same...
I don't insist on anything. When I get out of med school, I will be setting up practice in a state that allows gay marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment