Thursday, May 13, 2010

My husband wants to stop couples therapy, I think it's the only place where I can communicate.?

What do I do? I am having difficulties communicating with him, that is why we see a therapist, but my husband thinks I just want to go there to argue. I feel that is the only place where I can say what is on my mind. Now he wants to stop going, how do I tell him that I want to continue? He is very convincing, always been very controlling, I am having troubles telling him how I feel. Please help me out here.My husband wants to stop couples therapy, I think it's the only place where I can communicate.?
Well it seems to me that he doesn't want to see a therapist because all he sees is his wife argue. Maybe you should of been more understanding and more calm about things and maybe he wouldn't be wanting to back out of the therapist meeting you both have. I think it would be better to just forget about the therapist you usually go and see because it makes no sense if he doesn't agree to it and you do don't even bother arguing about it and try to communicate with him at home. Maybe you have difficulties communicating cause he is maybe impatient or maybe he is ignorant but whatever the case is your going to have to deal with it by doing things differently this time. Maybe its both your fault maybe he is impatient and ignorant and you just react mad with an attitude and argue cause he is ignorant but you need to talk to him nicely and put out the rules. If he really is how i said he was then tell him if you love me then we will both cooperate by not screaming, arguing, no ignorance and try to be patience let him talk and when he finish then you talk and no interrupting. You going to have to speak up and stop thinking you cant communicating cause you can you just have to find ways to do it. If you've done everything in your power to have a decent conversation and it doesn't work then try counseling or therapy. Good luckMy husband wants to stop couples therapy, I think it's the only place where I can communicate.?
The heck with him----go yourself. It will help you stand up to him and figure out what you want to do. Who needs to be controlled? Is he your father or your partner? Continue therapy and learn to tell him how you feel.
Maybe communication is exactly what he doesn't want to do. He was happier without communication. He wants things his way, and now you're not letting him pretend that you wanted them his way too.





Think what part of therapy makes it possible to communicate and see if you could continue on your own.





Sorry, my marriage ended because my ex explicitly and clearly said that he doesn't want to communicate and he showed it in many ways too. Not much advice here.
You have deemed him controlling and noncommunicative.


You drag him to therapy so you can be ';open'; which he views as your wanting to argue?





It sounds like you need to grow some backbone and learn to tell him what you are thinking without having a paid witness.





Were I you I would figure out how to tell him your thoughts or get out while you can.


I'm thinking you will be this way with most men though.
Oh this sounds like a great relationship.....get out, move on!
I feel for you but you must be honest with yourself..why go to therapy if he does not want to go......this will get you no where...you can not go to therapy forever just to communicate. His anger will just escalate...Perhaps you need to think of moving on
If this therapist succeeds then you two should have a means of working things out. For this to happen, you have to overcome your husbands power over you. To do that you will have to resist his convincing and therefore you will not be controlled anymore. This means your husband won't get his way all the time (or as much as he likes) and will be out of his comfort zone. To borrow a phrase from a book I recently read, ';your moving his cheese';.





Of course he wants to stop this. The sooner her can stop this the less risk there is that he will loose power over you.





I have never been to counseling myself but I hear that they teach you how to better communicate. Not just during the session but skills but so you can play the home version as well. You can use these skills anywhere.





The real question you need to answer is WHY do you feel it is the only place you can say what you want?
It sounds like he has confrontation issues and doesn't want to have any more of it. The best place for you two to deal with these issues is with the counselor, and if he doesn't want to do it anymore he either wants to quit trying or wants it his way only. I think you're in a controlling relationship and should stand up for yourself. Boundries are obviously an issue here and you need to think hard on honoring what you need your boundries to be while being respectful of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment